Sunday, March 01, 2009

Which has more effect on payments, price or interest rate?

My friend Danny Williams of Georgia took time out of hunting for rattlesnakes in Texas to send me this:

Most people would guess price.

“Did you know that even if home prices were to decline 10%, but also during that time interest rates available for home loans were to increase by 1%, your monthly principal and interest payment would actually be higher?”

Of course that statement sent me to my financial calculator. I figured the difference in payments for a 30 year mortgage of $100,000 at 6%, versus a $90,000 mortgage at 7% is less than $1 per month. WOW!!!!

Would you have guessed that? Most people would not.

It reinforces to me why John Schaub has always said, “Every one tenth% of interest is worth fighting for!”

Some people knew that already, but many more learned something here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home